
Hmm, have you ever seen something majestic, something that moves so gracefully that you just wish you knew why, or better yet wished you knew how to do the same?
We will get back to this...
So, here we are, again, another week, another blog. I have to say there is something about having an assignment due each week which makes the weeks seem to go so much faster, and coming to the point where there is just over or around two months left here I am not so sure how I feel about this assignment. Yet here it is, God is good.
I'll start with this, youth night this past Friday was amazing, it was the night of Kaleo Kapers, the five of us who attend New Life Baptist church got to plan and lead the night, we had our own version of Olympics, where the youth were split up into four teams divided by coloured ribbons. There were competitive games, ridiculous points, cheering and laughter, awards ceremonies, and chocolaty-good prizes. the only thing about having that many people in a gym is the noise you have to contend with, we had brought a megaphone but that ended up being too "echoey", so...we went with my "outside" voice instead. Let me just say I was shocked that I had a voice the next day! But it was incredible and to be honest the youth did really well in listening when they needed to hear something. Over all, what could have been a stressful night was blessed with fun and laughter and memories which will not fade for a long time to come.
Over the course of the past week, we have been busy at it in Old Testament Lit. Class, I had posted earlier that there was much to do and great stress about getting it all done, well, there was still a lot to do, but through His greatness, God provided the peace to simply get it done. The video project that we had to do as a class turned out great, we had a lot of good laughs over the finished product, which will be remembered by all no doubt. I have to say, I could definitely have gone without having to wear a coffee-grind/Vaseline beard…that goodness that is in the past! I have gained a new understanding of what it is like to have facial hair…hmm, good times. :P
Tomorrow we have an exam for the OT Lit. Course, I feel good about it, but some prayers never hurt anyone… (Or have they? There were some intense action scenes in the days of the Old Testament!)
Yesterday we had our second annual room check, we spent a good chunk of the day cleaning the room and putting together an amazing bribe bowl (yes, that’s right, “Bribe” to get those few extra points, its part of the game we make of it) unfortunately room 309 did not win this time. But that is ok, we still have a mighty fine clean room! After the open dorm part of the night where the guys got to see the girls’ floor and vice-versa, we all got together for a movie, Indiana Jones the Last Crusade. It was a great time we laughed at some of the old fashioned effects and silly/intense shots of Harrison Ford in his earlier days, as well as Sean Connery. Even more fun was to be had after the movie; all of the girls went upstairs for fruit/chocolate fondue before taking hold of the opportunity to be in the guys’ hallway to pull a few pranks…noth
ing too bad. All that was done for the most part was some writing on the mirrors and windows with washable markers. A few little notes here and there, “ready…aim…fire” on a toilet seat, “condolences” to the runners up of the room checks. As well as a few flipped up beds, hidden pillows, and some minor adjustments to the alarm clocks.
Unfortunately, the pranks were found out all too soon, the boys gathered in “furry” to plot their revenge, and, while doing some scouting/ spying, Jayme and myself were hiding in their laundry room, when Deborah came down, they must have heard a door or movement somewhere because they came rushing out of their room where they had gathered and proceeded to lock the three of us in the laundry room, with no window to open and escape out of and little chance of fighting our way past all those strong young men. Well, let’s just say it was a lucky thing, at least for Fish, that her mom called so after much prodding they conceded to let her out in exchange for one of the other girls, well…Kylie decided to offer herself in the place of the Fish. During the exchange there was an escape attempt, an attempt which was foiled with one last surge of force by the guys after a stalemate in strength while the four of us tried to fight our way out. Suffice it to say, Jayme, Kylie and I were in there for a bit longer before the guys gave up and finally let us out, but not until after the room had heated up and started feeling like a bit of a oven. When that was over, we more-or-less headed to bed.

This does not mean that the prank war had ended…not by a long shot. Today, before church Kristy and I were able to use a hockey stick and get some things out of one of the rooms through an open window while the boys were already gone to church; we retrieved a hammock and some groceries which we set in the hammock after tying in to the side of the building. A minor prank, but something none the less. Then this evening more went on which I cannot speak of for the protection of those involved. I would be willing to share with you if you would like to know, just let me know!
I feel as though I have gone on long enough yet there is more to be said. Bear with me on this.
In regards to the up-coming end to the year of Kaleo, I have been slapped in the face by the fact that so much time has gone by and yet some things are just now starting to get better with relationships. It is of no use to wish for the past, but one thing I would do differently if given the chance would have been to not have wasted so much time in getting to know the wonderful people God has placed in my life for the better part of this past year. To all of you, thank you so much for being part of my life! You have all changed me in ways which will never be explained and for which I will never be able to thank you enough. I can only hope that I have been able to do something in return for you. How can I describe a feeling that I cannot even begin to put into words? I know that the time here is short, but I pray that we would make the most of it and grow closer still, rather than running, that we would dig in and get the absolute most out of it all.
Have you ever seen something majestic, something that moves so gracefully that you just wish you knew why, or better yet wished you knew how to do the same?
Over the past several months, I have seen changes in myself, I have had new experiences which I will never forget, I have been able to watch people grow and change along with me, and in ways completely new to me. The changes are indescribable and yet so evident.
Have you ever seen an eagle and simply could not take your eyes from it, from its free, easy, graceful and powerful flight? The way an eagle soars on winds up in great heights is remarkable; they look down to the rest of the world and have a great perspective on th
ings. They sit on treetops and simply leap off, spread their wings, and let the wind carry them to any destination. There is no doubt that God knew what he was doing when he used the analogy of flying on wings like eagles, to me there is no match to the flight of such a bird.
This past year has been the beginning of just such a flight in my own life, choosing to follow the call of God to come to Kaleo was my leap of faith, being here has taught me how to embrace him and spread my wings, and he is carrying me on winds of faith; and he will continue to do so, so long as I am willing to follow, to trust him and continue to dive after him. And he will do the same for you. Dive with me. Fly with me. It’s time to soar.
We will get back to this...
So, here we are, again, another week, another blog. I have to say there is something about having an assignment due each week which makes the weeks seem to go so much faster, and coming to the point where there is just over or around two months left here I am not so sure how I feel about this assignment. Yet here it is, God is good.
I'll start with this, youth night this past Friday was amazing, it was the night of Kaleo Kapers, the five of us who attend New Life Baptist church got to plan and lead the night, we had our own version of Olympics, where the youth were split up into four teams divided by coloured ribbons. There were competitive games, ridiculous points, cheering and laughter, awards ceremonies, and chocolaty-good prizes. the only thing about having that many people in a gym is the noise you have to contend with, we had brought a megaphone but that ended up being too "echoey", so...we went with my "outside" voice instead. Let me just say I was shocked that I had a voice the next day! But it was incredible and to be honest the youth did really well in listening when they needed to hear something. Over all, what could have been a stressful night was blessed with fun and laughter and memories which will not fade for a long time to come.
Over the course of the past week, we have been busy at it in Old Testament Lit. Class, I had posted earlier that there was much to do and great stress about getting it all done, well, there was still a lot to do, but through His greatness, God provided the peace to simply get it done. The video project that we had to do as a class turned out great, we had a lot of good laughs over the finished product, which will be remembered by all no doubt. I have to say, I could definitely have gone without having to wear a coffee-grind/Vaseline beard…that goodness that is in the past! I have gained a new understanding of what it is like to have facial hair…hmm, good times. :P
Tomorrow we have an exam for the OT Lit. Course, I feel good about it, but some prayers never hurt anyone… (Or have they? There were some intense action scenes in the days of the Old Testament!)
Yesterday we had our second annual room check, we spent a good chunk of the day cleaning the room and putting together an amazing bribe bowl (yes, that’s right, “Bribe” to get those few extra points, its part of the game we make of it) unfortunately room 309 did not win this time. But that is ok, we still have a mighty fine clean room! After the open dorm part of the night where the guys got to see the girls’ floor and vice-versa, we all got together for a movie, Indiana Jones the Last Crusade. It was a great time we laughed at some of the old fashioned effects and silly/intense shots of Harrison Ford in his earlier days, as well as Sean Connery. Even more fun was to be had after the movie; all of the girls went upstairs for fruit/chocolate fondue before taking hold of the opportunity to be in the guys’ hallway to pull a few pranks…noth
ing too bad. All that was done for the most part was some writing on the mirrors and windows with washable markers. A few little notes here and there, “ready…aim…fire” on a toilet seat, “condolences” to the runners up of the room checks. As well as a few flipped up beds, hidden pillows, and some minor adjustments to the alarm clocks.Unfortunately, the pranks were found out all too soon, the boys gathered in “furry” to plot their revenge, and, while doing some scouting/ spying, Jayme and myself were hiding in their laundry room, when Deborah came down, they must have heard a door or movement somewhere because they came rushing out of their room where they had gathered and proceeded to lock the three of us in the laundry room, with no window to open and escape out of and little chance of fighting our way past all those strong young men. Well, let’s just say it was a lucky thing, at least for Fish, that her mom called so after much prodding they conceded to let her out in exchange for one of the other girls, well…Kylie decided to offer herself in the place of the Fish. During the exchange there was an escape attempt, an attempt which was foiled with one last surge of force by the guys after a stalemate in strength while the four of us tried to fight our way out. Suffice it to say, Jayme, Kylie and I were in there for a bit longer before the guys gave up and finally let us out, but not until after the room had heated up and started feeling like a bit of a oven. When that was over, we more-or-less headed to bed.

This does not mean that the prank war had ended…not by a long shot. Today, before church Kristy and I were able to use a hockey stick and get some things out of one of the rooms through an open window while the boys were already gone to church; we retrieved a hammock and some groceries which we set in the hammock after tying in to the side of the building. A minor prank, but something none the less. Then this evening more went on which I cannot speak of for the protection of those involved. I would be willing to share with you if you would like to know, just let me know!
I feel as though I have gone on long enough yet there is more to be said. Bear with me on this.
In regards to the up-coming end to the year of Kaleo, I have been slapped in the face by the fact that so much time has gone by and yet some things are just now starting to get better with relationships. It is of no use to wish for the past, but one thing I would do differently if given the chance would have been to not have wasted so much time in getting to know the wonderful people God has placed in my life for the better part of this past year. To all of you, thank you so much for being part of my life! You have all changed me in ways which will never be explained and for which I will never be able to thank you enough. I can only hope that I have been able to do something in return for you. How can I describe a feeling that I cannot even begin to put into words? I know that the time here is short, but I pray that we would make the most of it and grow closer still, rather than running, that we would dig in and get the absolute most out of it all.
Have you ever seen something majestic, something that moves so gracefully that you just wish you knew why, or better yet wished you knew how to do the same?
Over the past several months, I have seen changes in myself, I have had new experiences which I will never forget, I have been able to watch people grow and change along with me, and in ways completely new to me. The changes are indescribable and yet so evident.
Have you ever seen an eagle and simply could not take your eyes from it, from its free, easy, graceful and powerful flight? The way an eagle soars on winds up in great heights is remarkable; they look down to the rest of the world and have a great perspective on th
ings. They sit on treetops and simply leap off, spread their wings, and let the wind carry them to any destination. There is no doubt that God knew what he was doing when he used the analogy of flying on wings like eagles, to me there is no match to the flight of such a bird.This past year has been the beginning of just such a flight in my own life, choosing to follow the call of God to come to Kaleo was my leap of faith, being here has taught me how to embrace him and spread my wings, and he is carrying me on winds of faith; and he will continue to do so, so long as I am willing to follow, to trust him and continue to dive after him. And he will do the same for you. Dive with me. Fly with me. It’s time to soar.
“But I press on…forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

1 comment:
Solid blog post there Mirrrrrrrr
Post a Comment